Thursday, February 11, 2016

Super Mario Bros.™ Bob-omb Cake Pops


My son recently turned 4 years old and we threw a Super Mario Bros.™ themed party for him.  Growing up in the 80's, I myself was a big fan of the franchise, so I had lots of fun researching and planning all the details. The Bob-omb cake pops, though, was not supposed to be a part of it.  It all started with the Super Mario Bros.™ Star Power Cake and after a few trials & errors, I found a way to make use of the rejects.  I got the design from Nerdy Nummies YouTube channel with a few tweaks of my own.

Here's what I did:
First, I baked the cake following the directions from the box of a Betty Crocker™ Lemon Super Moist cake mix.  Then after chilling it in the fridge for about an hour, I crumbled and mixed it with a tub of Betty Crocker™ cream cheese frosting (which I should've added a little bit at a time because it got too moist), then shaped it into little bite-sized balls and stick each one with a toothpick.  I used Reynold's® Cut-Rite® Wax paper to line my cookie sheet so it wouldn't stick then placed it in the freezer for about 4 hours before dipping in melted black Wilton® Candy Melts


To hold it up and let it dry, I used a FloraCraft™ Styrofoam™ cake form foam block. The sloped edge of a plate came in handy to keep it in place as the melted candy dried up to glue the decorations together. I used blue mini M&M's® and Strawberry Sour Punch Twists® for the wick and yellow regular M&M's® for the feet. The crank at the back are baby pretzels from Gardetto's® snack mix and I just think they're the cutest, have I mentioned that I love little tiny things? And lastly, I had a tick-tock moment and skipped the eyes because I ran out of time :)



Tips:
1. You can add the eyes by shaping white fondant and use the melted candy to stick it on.
2. Another option is using a piping bag with some white icing to add the eyes.
3. If you don't have a piping bag, you can use a Ziploc® bag and cutting off a small part of the corner tip with scissors. 
4. If you're planning on making a lot, try dipping in batches to prevent balls from premature defrosting.

If you'd like to try making this on your own, please leave a comment on how it turned out.

Happy Baking!!!
Copyright © YarnsAndYummies. All rights reserved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment